Friday, January 14, 2011

Inner Pride

by Rita Hovakimian
Inspiring Success specializing in Breakthrough Coaching Programs for Entrepreneurs, Leaders and Professionals 

Any time I say to anyone that I am a child of the '60s I experience an inner pride and speak with a tone of slight boastfulness. I loved being part of that generation for so many reasons. I love telling people (especially the 20-30 somethings) that I did see Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix,  Jim Morrison, Gracie Slick and the Jefferson Airplane live and seeing their eyes widen, become like saucers and light up! "Really", they say? Somehow I have earned their immediate respect for someone who they think really knows rock'n roll. 
I love that we were idealistic and saw what was possible for humanity AND that we had the courage to express our outrage at the stupidity of the Vietnam War, the unethical and evil behavior of those that partook of  the Watergate scandal, the injustice of Racism, Sexism, and all other 'isms'. 
We were outraged, disturbed and really did think we could make a difference-a BIG difference. And in many ways we did! People came out in droves from everywhere; not just the 'hippies' but the clergy, academicians, mothers, fathers, blacks, whites, gays, straights, young and old to express their anger and voice their preference for a world of justice, peace, kindness and generosity for everyone.
The massive protests did bring the Vietnam War to an end. The criminals that participated in Watergate did get appropriately punished. We were bold and relentless in the 60s and we saw results from our actions.

Those were special times. Really, really special times.

And now?

Well, do you see people coming out in droves to express their outrage at the war in Iraq and Afghanistan? And how about the war criminals of the Bush Administration.  How could we let this administration get away with lying to us, manipulating us and betraying us?  The "children of the 60's" would not stand for it!

I for one admittedly have become resigned on the political front. My rationale is that the machine is too big, too powerful and frankly trying to change it is not a good use of my energy. I will vote, sign petitions and make phone calls when the request is made of me from MoveOn.org or the ANCA. But that is as far as it goes.

I have chosen to dedicate and focus my energy and my life in making a difference in people's lives in a positive way. I help conscious and heart centered entrepreneurs bring their visions to fruition in a powerful, successful and prosperous way while having lives of freedom and joy. I wake up every morning loving what I do. I cultivate a state of gratitude daily and this has me feel joyful. This is how I am making a difference now-one person, one group at a time.

Oh, and what did I learn in those days that remains an integral part of my life today?
I don't watch television (except for something exceptional on PBS, Charlie Rose or Bill Moyers).
And somehow I think being part of that "Love Generation" has made me more of a caring human being-at least I would like to think so.

1 comment:

  1. I am delighted my old friend Rita was the first to send me a posting for this blog. She wrote that she had planned to do some other work the evening she got the email announcing this blog. She set everything else aside and wrote this lovely piece.

    Thanks Rita!

    ReplyDelete